Where To Report Elder Neglect And Abuse In Colorado – Helplines, Hotlines, and Referral Sources
To report suspected elder abuse, neglect, or exploitation in Colorado:
- Suspected mistreatment or self-neglect of an at-risk adult living in the home should be reported to the county APS office; visit the County Department of Social (Human) Services online directory to obtain local numbers.
- Suspected mistreatment occurring in licensed nursing home or assisted living residence should be reported to the Long-Term Care Ombudsman. To find the contact information for the Ombudsman assigned to a specific institution, call the regional Area Agency on Aging. View a map of the Colorado Area Agencies on Aging regions, Here.
Colorado State Government Agencies
The following agencies can help you file a complaint against a nursing or long-term care facility, as well as provide you with additional information and support regarding senior neglect and abuse:
- Colorado Adult Protective Services
- Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, Health Facilities Division
- Colorado Division of Aging and Adult Services
- Colorado Long Term Care Ombudsman
Colorado Laws and Regulations
The following laws were enacted to help protect seniors against abuse:
- Part 1 – Protective Services for At-risk Adults, Section 26-3.1-101, C.R.S., et seq
- Part 2 – Protection Against Financial Exploitation of At-risk Adults, Section 26-3.1-201, C.R.S., et seq
- Wrongs to At-risk Adults, Section 18-6.5-101, C.R.S., et seq
- Mandatory Sentences for Violent Crimes, Section 18-1.3-406, C.R.S., et seq
Access additional related statutes, Here.
- Colorado AARP Elder Watch / Fraud Prevention – A Program with the Colorado Attorney General
- Colorado Coalition for Elder Rights and Adult Protection
- How to Participate in Resolving Health Care Problems in Nursing Homes
- State elder abuse statistics and/or other publications, Available Here.
Where To Report Elder Neglect And Abuse In Rhode I...
Where To Report Elder Neglect And Abuse In Montana...
Where To Report Elder Neglect And Abuse In North D...
Michigan Elder Abuse Legal Resources - How and whe...
Where To Report Elder Neglect And Abuse In New Mex...