What are some examples and signs of elder abuse?
While one sign does not necessarily indicate abuse, some indicators that there could be a problem are:
- Bruises, pressure marks, broken bones, abrasions, and burns may be an indication of physical abuse, neglect, or mistreatment.
- Unexplained withdrawal from normal activities, a sudden change in alertness, and unusual depression may be indicators of emotional abuse.
- Bruises around the breasts or genital area can occur from sexual abuse.
- Sudden changes in financial situations may be the result of exploitation.
- Bedsores, unattended medical needs, poor hygiene, and unusual weight loss are indicators of possible neglect.
- Behavior such as belittling, threats, and other uses of power and control by spouses are indicators of verbal or emotional abuse.
- Strained or tense relationships, frequent arguments between the caregiver and elderly person are also signs.
It’s important to remain alert. The suffering is often in silence. If you notice changes in personality, behavior, or physical condition, you should start to question what is going on.
For more information on how caregivers can prevent elder abuse, you can read the DOH’s information here: Factsheets & Publications.
There are many forms of abuse that can be inflicte...
Unfortunately, the elderly are vulnerable to abuse...
Unscrupulous people purposely target seniors and w...
It is estimated that 36 percent of all emergency r...
Even when precautions are taken, other seemingly h...